Nigeria braces for post-election violence and bloodshed

Nigeria braces for post-election violence and bloodshed

Some 69 million voters across Nigeria are heading to the polls today (March 28) to choose their new president. Incumbant President Jonathan will face former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari in what is seen as the closest presidential race since the end of military rule in 1999.br br In a broadcast to the nation on Friday, Jonathan said no political ambition could justify violence or bloodshed, adding that security measures had been taken to guarantee a free and fair election.br br “Let me warn, however, that as President, Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces, I am under oath to protect the lives of all Nigerians and the security of our country at all times. I will never abdicate my responsibilities in that regard,” he said.br br “Those who may harbour any intentions of testing our will by unleashing violence during the elections in order to advance their political ambitions should think again,” Jonathan said.


User: euronews (in English)

Views: 41

Uploaded: 2015-03-28

Duration: 00:45